In "I was hoping nobody was going to notice if I borrowed a few samples" news, a Houston jury found rapper Lil' Flip and Sony BMG Music Entertainment guilty of willful copyright infringement.
Say it ain't so EbenGregory.
It is so and unfortunately the jury verdict found that Suckafree Records, Lil' Flip, his manager Estelle Douglass Hobbs, Sony BMG Music Entertainment, Columbia Records, Loud Records, Lucky Publishing and Hobbs Publishing willfully violated the copyrighted music of Tommy Granville, when the Defendants included it on Lil' Flip's platinum-selling CD, Undaground Legend.
See back in Nov. 2004, Lil' Flip (real name Wesley Eric Weston) was sued by songwriter and music producer Tommy L. Granville for alleged unauthorized use of three melodies on Flip's major label debut, Undaground Legend.
While the lawsuit sought $1.5 million in damages and an unspecified amount for alleged willful infringement, the Houston jury awarded Granville $150,000, the maximum statutory damages under the law. Magistrate Judge Stacy also fined Sony $12,000 for their failure to adhere to the court's orders to turn over financial documents.
Here's Tommy Granville's lawyer, Scott Hemingway, on the verdict: We're very pleased that the jury agreed that Tommy Granville's music was illegally taken by these Defendants. Sony is one of the world's biggest enforcers of its copyright rights and it files 1000's of copyright infringement lawsuits against Internet file-sharers to protect its rights. It is nice to see the jury tell Sony and the other Defendants that they should respect the copyrights of others the same way they want their own copyright rights respected.
Here's some jewelry being dropped by EbenGregory on Lil' Flip/Sony BMG Music being found guilty of copyright infringement: Don't tell your problems to people: 80% don't care and the other 20% are glad you have them. Two words: Game Over.
Some of you won't get that last line. Pun intended.